1kg ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped quite small
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp tomato paste (purée)
1 chilli, finely shredded
1 tbsp finely chopped basil or oregano
Salt & pepper
- Sweat the onion and garlic in the oil then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer until reduced to a suitable consistency.
- At this stage you can run it through a food mill if you want a smoother soup with no seeds.
- Serve with a swirl of cream.
- Any leftovers can be reduced a bit more and used as a sauce for pasta or fried snacks.
It looks delicious Susan. I have not had much success with tomato soup recipes - too many years of Heinz I think ! This looks tasty so I will give it a try.
In Sud Touraine, typically people would drop an egg in the mixture while simmering... the yolk should not cook, only the white... Serve warm !
BRB: Many thanks for this local tip. It sounds like huevos rancheros, and good comfort food.
Post a Comment