Saturday 15 March 2014

Flags

Can you identify these three flags? 
2 points for each flag correctly identified.
*****************************************
A la cuisine hier: Beef in Black Bean Sauce, made with purple sprouting broccoli instead of the veg suggested in the recipe, and home made black bean sauce. I was fairly happy with both the resulting dish overall and the sauce, which has given me enough to do another couple of black bean sauce dishes so I've frozen the leftovers. I already had leftover rice from the other day's Aloo Gobi, which had been spread out to dry in the fridge to make fried rice.
*******************************************
Loire Valley Nature: A new entry has been added for Lily-of-the-Valley Convallaria majalis.
*****************************************
Quiz Answers: The flags are, from left to right, the Australian Aboriginal, the New South Wales and the Australian. They were photographed at the Manly Ferry Wharf. Liselle and chm get some points or something.

12 comments:

Liselle said...

I could answer this but i think i have an unfair advantage.

chm said...

The first one was the most tricky, the second one has several brothers and sisters and the third one was obvious with the Southern Cross.

Susan, from your blog I'm learning a lot about Australia and also many other things. I thank you for that.

Susan said...

Liselle: thanks for being a good sport. For bonus points, can you tell me where this photo was taken?

chm: I'm surprised the first was the hardest. For me the one in the middle is the most obscure. The third one is easy (I hope!)

chm said...

Susan, depending on the wording of your Google search, you get very different results. As I said, the third flag was easy and obvious. For the second one, by chance, I went directly to it. But the first one didn't appear with the others. I had to do some guessing for that one.

After I read you answer, I went back to Google with a different wording and, bingo, that first flag was there for everyone to see. The beauty of electronics and search engines!

Liselle said...

Hmmm. The three usually fly at the Town Hall?

Susan said...

Liselle: Indeed, but not in this case...

Liselle said...

I thought not. Would be difficult to avoid some of the structural extravagance. Not many clues in the photo. Is that the tip of a Norfolk pine? You have me intrigued!

Simon said...

It probably is the ti[ of a Norfolk pine. Where would be the most appropriate place (geographically appropriate place, that is) to celebrate the incomers meeting Australia's original inhabitants?

Autolycus said...

Aha, a clue. It suggests (does it not, Watson?), Botany Bay and therefore New South Wales to complement the other two (which I did know).

(Come to think of it, I haven't tried Google Image search on this, but presumably that's going to make this sort of quiz a bit too easy in future...?)

Simon said...

"...and a thousand miles from care"

Aussie in France said...

Very embarrassed to say that I can only identify the third one - but then, I guess I'm not really Australian any more except for my accent!

Liselle said...

Manly! Seriously? The pines were the clue there but i would never have guessed they had the three flags flying. I don't think of it as having much to do with foundation, more a 19th (21st?) century beach colony :-)

Post a Comment