Buckwheat flour, known as farine de sarrasin or farine de blé noir in French is widely available as it is a traditional ingredient in the Breton style savoury pancakes called galettes.
500 g buckwheat flour
350 ml water at 40°C
2 tbsp canola oil
2 tsp dried yeast
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cider vinegar
2 tbsp seeds (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients using the paddle beater on a stand mixer. Mix for about 5 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl half way.
- Cover the mixing bowl with cling film and put it in a warm place for half an hour.
- Stir the dough, which will be quite wet.
- Tip the dough into an oiled 10 cm x 26 cm loaf tin. You can use a smaller tin, but don't go larger.
- Cover the tin and set in a warm place for 40 minutes.
- Turn the oven on to heat to 240°C while the dough proves.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Leave in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool.