On Monday I wrote about our dauphin and how the ice had split it. At that stage the downpipe was full of ice, a slightly worrying situation as the forecast was for rain and anything that fell on the roof would have to find its own way down.
First move was to shove a screwdriver into the outlet and wriggle, to see if I could shift the lump sitting there. This I managed successfully, but I was rather surprised (and alarmed) when a 9cm (3.5inch) plug of ice then whistled past my unprotected hand. When I looked at where it had come from I could see another lump of ice, which I wriggled with my screwdriver - with the same result.
Realising that this could take all afternoon, I then undid the screws holding the cast iron dauphin to the wall and gently slid it out from the rest of the downpipe, releasing almost 5 metres of ice which shattered as it hit the ground.
So now we have a clear downpipe for when the rain arrives. It hasn't yet, but one day the forecast has to be right!