It's the sort of thing you expect to only encounter in fiction, but in 1999 a local politician and amateur art historian noticed two dusty pictures hanging under the organ loft in the church of Saint Antoine in Loches. He was intrigued by the insignia painted in the top right corner of each, and asked for advice from the regional historic monuments conservator. They soon worked out that the coat of arms belonged to Henri IV and Louis XIII's brilliant and erudite minister of state and ambassador to Rome, Philippe de Béthune (1565 - 1649).
It is thought that the paintings belong to a group of four that Philippe purchased in Rome which are mentioned in a slightly later detailed inventory of his estate. The paintings are versions of Caravaggio's Supper at Emmaus (La Cène à Emmaus) and Doubting Thomas (L'Incredulité de St Thomas). Caravaggio (1571 - 1610) is believed to have done several versions of some of his paintings (for example, the three versions of the Taking of Christ in Dublin, Rome and Odessa) but copies of paintings by both contemporary and later artists are also known to exist, so the authenticity of these hitherto forgotten paintings was immediately up for questioning. He was an immensely influentual artist in his own lifetime and immediately after, and spawned many imitators.
Philippe de Béthune purchased many items while in Italy to decorate his château at Selles-sur-Cher. When he died he had amassed the most important collection in Europe, which after some negotiations, was acquired by Louis XIV. Curiously, Louis does not seem to have taken these paintings, because they were confiscated during the Revolution from Selles-sur-Cher and subsequently given to the new church of Saint Antoine in Loches. At the time they would have been deeply unfashionable, which probably accounts for the somewhat ignominious placement and their subsequent slide into obscurity.