The round dish on the left is a civet de sanglier prepared by these charcutiers/traiteurs at the truffle market in Marigny Marmande.this recipe last year.
Ingredients for Boar Bourguignon.
1kg wild boar meat, cut into 2cm cubes
½ - 1 cup of blood or 100g pork or chicken liver (optional)
200g salt and smoke cured pork belly, cut into 2cm cubes
A large onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 carrots, cut into chunks
A bouquet garni made of parsley, celery leaves, bay leaves, sprigs of thyme and a strip of orange peel
10 juniper berries, roughly crushed
A bottle of red wine
A can of tomato paste (optional)
1 tsp Lapsang souchong tea, ground to a fine powder (optional)
200g mushrooms (ideally wild forest mushrooms such as ceps)
Slow cooking on our ever reliable wood stove.
- If your wild boar is genuinely wild and not farmed, put it in the freezer for 3 weeks to kill any parasites.
- Defrost overnight in the fridge, ideally in a marinade made of the blood, wine, some oil, the bouquet garni and juniper.
- Drain the meat and brown in some oil. Transfer to a casserole dish.
- Brown the vegetables and cured pork belly and add to the casserole.
- Deglaze the pan with the marinade and tip the hot liquid into the casserole, along with the bouquet garni, the juniper berries and finely chopped liver.
- Add the can of tomato paste and the smoky tea powder and stir to mix all the ingredients.
- Cook at a slow simmer for 2 hours, either on top of the stove or in the oven at 150°C.
- Sauté the mushrooms and either add to the casserole for the last half hour of cooking, or serve them as an accompaniment.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste by adding salt and pepper.
- Serve the civet with mixed root vegetable mash (celeriac and swede is particularly good).
PS. This recipe will work with venison (biche or chevreuil in French) and I reckon you could do roo meat like this and it would be very good indeed.
A la cuisine hier: Baked beans, fried eggs, bacon and buttered fresh bread. One of Simon's favourite meals.
Pork fillet in mustard cream sauce, mixed root veggie mash, peas.