Ingredients for Chestnut Cream.Usually Chestnut Cream is made by the simple expedient of combining creme chantilly (sweetened whipped cream) and confiture de chataignes (sweetened chestnut paste), but I prefer something a little more sophisticated. It takes a couple more ingredients but cuts down on the fat content. It takes a few more minutes to prepare but even so, is still super quick to put together.
Combining the cream cheese and sweetened chestnut purée.Ingredients:
1 jar or can of sweetened chestnut purée
1 box of cream cheese
2 egg whites
3 tbsp sugar
A handful of marrons glacés (candied chestnut) bits (optional)
Add the marrons glacés bits.Method:
- Tip the cream cheese into a bowl and beat until smooth.
- Stir in the sweetened chestnut purée and then the chestnut bits.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff, adding the sugar at the end.
- Fold the beaten egg whites into the cream cheese / chestnut mixture.
- Spoon into glasses and sprinkle with a few more chestnut bits.
Don't forget to save some chestnut bits to decorate...Marrons glacés are considered a tremendous seasonal treat, with their distinctive mealy texture and caramelly sweetness. You can purchase them at great expense in fancy boxes like chocolates at Christmas time, or you can buy broken ones at slightly less expense, also packaged in fancy boxes. The best is if you can buy broken bits at half price from the post-Christmas excess confectionery shelves in the supermarket.