Saturday 21 January 2012

Simple and Elegant

I've never really understood what the term 'fine dining' means. I guess it's one of those amorphous phrases that means what you want it to mean and everyone has a slightly different interpretation, based on personal tastes.

The meal served at this simple and elegant setting was the ultimate French peasant classic, poule au pot, and the venue was a private house. J and H were relaxed and generous hosts.

So, does that count as fine dining or not? I'm guessing not, but who cares. I'd much rather be somewhere by invitation where the food was prepared with the enjoyment of friends in mind.

Susan

7 comments:

Tim said...

To me, fine dining is good, tasty food, lovingly prepared, served up in a nice warm room [or outside in some shady corner in good summer weather]... there should be good company, interesting conversation and something nice to drink [not necessarily alcoholic... written while thinking of your cherry cordial] that goes with the food served up. There should be nothing to make you want to hurry through the meal... and preferably nothing other than the need to sleep to make you want to hurry away.

No restaurant has ever managed that!

Jean said...

Well said, Tim, I couldn't agree more.

GaynorB said...

Great minds think alike! For obvious reasons I'll end the quotation there ...

Diane said...

I can only agree with all the above! Diane

Leon Sims said...

Us too - that's what we do.

Simon said...

I thougt it meant that you paid the price the next day...

Niall & Antoinette said...

well said Tim!

Post a Comment