Sunday 8 April 2012

Bread and cheese

One of our local goat dairies, Limousin freres, makes a special springtime cheese. It's a harder, smoother textured cheese in the style of a tome (often spelt tomme), and quite unlike the usual creamy chalk of the Ste-Maure-de-Touraine logs they make year round. Production of the tome starts in early April and continues for 6 weeks. By June it will all be gone.

Naturally I am buying it while I can. I also bought some gorgeous Spanish tomatoes from another market stall (still too early for local tomatoes) and made a loaf of bread to go with the cheese.

The bread is a pain de mie style loaf ie soft and crustless. The recipe is here.

Susan

5 comments:

Tim said...

Susan, we got some fresh, vine tomatoes from the Intermarché that were from Sothern France... probably still greenhouse or polly raised... but smelt wonderful and tasted delish!! So they are around...
Happy Easter!!

Ken Broadhurst said...

Thanks for that recipe and the site too, Susan.

chm said...

HI Susan,

Happy Easter to you and Simon.

I was interested in the bread recipe, because I’ve been baking bread in a machine for thirty years. I call the result my Japanese bread, and not French bread as the setting says, because the first bread machine were made in Japan, of all places!

Being basically very lazy, it suits me because the five minutes preparation it takes is just about what I can take, the machine does the rest! LOL

Here is what I do. I put in the pan, in that order:
1/2 tsp. salt
1-1/2 cup whole milk or half milk and half water
3 cups all purpose flour [I use King Arthur’s]
1 tps. SAF or Red Star yeast.
French setting. 1.5 lb.
The machine does the rest in 3-1/2 hours.

Most people who tasted my bread liked it very much. Very simple.

Too much salt and sugar is not necessary. Less of both is better for your health.

chm said...

There is a typo in my recipe.

It is 1 tsp. instant yeast.

Ken Broadhurst said...

CHM's "Japanese" bread is very good, I can attest to that. It makes good toast in the morning, and it makes the kitchen smell so good...

Post a Comment