Friday 19 September 2014

What Do You Call These?

Where we are, these go by the name of pains au chocolat, but I have been reminded that this isn't always the case in France. In the Touraine we use the northern term for these chocolate filled pastries, but just across the border, in Poitou-Charentes, to our south-west, which we have visited rather a lot in the last few weeks, I try to remember to ask for une chocolatine in the hospital cafe. They use the southern name for the pastries there.


ladybird said...

In Belgium they are called: couque au chocolat :)

Jean said...

They look like sausage rolls without the sausage!

Aussie in France said...

I spent my first year in France in Pau in the Pyrenees and learnt to say (and love) chocolatines. When I arrived in Nantes, pronouncing every syllable of every word as they do in Béarn and talked about chocolatines, people would say "but where do you come from?"

The Beaver said...


I use both. In Montréal , I ask for petits pain au chocolate and when I am in France : Chocolatines

Post a Comment