Sunday 27 February 2011

Tarte paysanne

This recipe is for all those people, like me, who are operating out of a temporary kitchen, with only a mini oven and no flan tins. It's a simple lunch using supermarket ready prepared ingredients that takes about 20 minutes to prepare, 45 minutes to cook and serves 2-5.

Ingredients for 'peasant tart'.
Ingredients:
1 packet of ready rolled pizza dough
2 carrots
1 courgette (zucchini)
2 leeks
100-150g poitrine fumée en tranches fines (wafer thin rashers of bacon)
250ml béchamel sauce
50g grated cheese
1 tbsp oil
Pinch herbes de Provence*
Salt & pepper

Method:
  1. Cut the carrots in half lengthways and slice into half rounds.
  2. Cut the zucchini into matchsticks.
  3. Thinly slice the leeks.
  4. Heat the oil in a pan and sweat the vegetables for 15 minutes, seasoning them with the herbes de Provence, salt and pepper, and stirring often.
  5. Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
  6. Lay the pizza dough on a lined oven tray.
  7. Make folded foil supports for the edges of the dough and gently raise the sides so that the filling won't run out. It doesn't need to be as high as a flan.
  8. Spread the vegetables over the dough.
  9. Dollop on the béchamel so it is evenly distributed.
  10. Cover with the bacon rashers.
  11. Cook for 20 minutes.
  12. Sprinkle with grated cheese and put under the grill for 5 minutes.
The dough, with raised edges supported by foil.

Covered in fines tranches de lard and ready to go into the oven.

Ready to eat.
*Many thanks to Françoise for giving us a jar of her parents' home made herbes de Provence.

Susan

10 comments:

wcs said...

I'm not certain that a vegetarian lunch would include as much poitrine fumée as that... ;)

Susan said...

Walt: OMG ! You are right, what was I thinking? I didn't even notice what I had written - just goes to show that I only pay lip service to this vegetarian fad thing, like all the other carnivores.

Amanda said...

Your 2 comments made me laugh out loud! This looks really appetizing.

Diogenes said...

Looks great. Amazing what you can do without a full kitchen.

Diogenes said...

By the way, here's hoping Geoffrey Rush (from Toowoomba) winds best supporting actor tonight.

Anonymous said...

wins...

Leila said...

I made the Valencia Orange Cake last weekend as per your recipe. It was delicious. Thank you for posting it.

Kind regards

Leila

Susan said...

Diogenes: Is Geoffrey Rush from Toowoomba? Must have been a long time ago...

Leila: I'm afraid I can't take the credit - I think you must mean Walt's recipe :-)

Jean said...

Well done, I don't think I would have thought of using tinfoil if I didn't have the right dish.

Simon said...

Bacone is certainly my favorite vegetable.

Post a Comment