Prior to adding the water to the bain-marie (water bath).It's very easy to make though, and lately that's what I've been doing (and it's suitable for coeliacs). It's also an unpretentious and trouble free alternative to chocolate mousse.
In the oven, gently steaming.This recipe serves 6. It takes about 15 minutes to prepare, 45 minutes to cook and 3 hours of refrigeration.
90g dark chocolate
600ml whole milk
4 egg yolks
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Break up the chocolate and melt in the microwave with 100ml of the milk.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar until creamy.
- Mix in the melted chocolate.
- Add the milk and vanilla and beat well.
- Divide into 6 heat proof glasses or ramekins.
- Put them in a bain-marie and cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Leave to get cold and put in the fridge for at least 3 hours before serving.
A finished pudding.Since I don't have 6 heat proof glasses or ramekins at my disposal at present, I use an assortment of jam jars. One advantage of this is that I can then just screw the lids on and pop the jars in the fridge. We eat them straight out of the jar with teaspoons.