Saturday 11 August 2018

Simon Invades Italy


When we were planning our trip to Switzerland I took the opportunity to plot a route that took us through as many countries as possible. Although actually driving through Italy would have taken us far of our way, my route took us very close the Italian border, with a convenient road to the border.

I should have looked closer - what a cracker of a road!! Regular visitors will recall I like roads with corners, and this one is a belter. It climbs over 700 metres in 9km, much of it in 2km just before the summit. The Roman road still exists, although not having done sufficient research before hand I didn't know about it, and it features in the writing of Mary Shelly and Arthur Conan-Doyle. Photos don't do it justice, nor does the video I recorded using my camera balanced on the dashboard.

Its name? Splugen Passe. if you're in the area, don't miss it!


You can see where we're heading...

Simon Wins!


2 comments:

Sheila said...

Spectacular!

Le Pré de la Forge said...

The poor sad-myclist going the other way.... mind you, if we'd been doing it in Gytha, he'd've overtaken us!!
That looked fun, though.... and the views are spectacular!!

Post a Comment