Friday 21 March 2008

Culinary Links

I don't suppose that I've invented a new game, but here are some croissants aux amandes I made recently.I made these after our blogger 'neighbour' Ken (Living the Life in Saint Aignan) posted about making them and provided a link to the recipe on Clothilde's blog Chocolate and Zucchini.

So I link to Ken and he links to Clothilde.

My notes after making these say I did not use the rum option (not fond of rum, especially for breakfast), and I agree with Ken that the recipe is enough for 8 croissants, not the mere 4 that Clothilde suggests. I did dip them in the syrup, unlike Ken, because, like Ken, I didn't heed Clothilde's advice to get the best possible croissants - I used Tesco Value all butter croissants . I made the syrup and the almond cream the night before and then put them together and baked for breakfast the next morning. In my oven, which I know is rather slow, they need 15 minutes at 190°C.

They turned out so well I am going to experiment with chocolate ones and marmalade ones. Miam miam !

Susan

4 comments:

Ken Broadhurst said...

I hope your future experiments are as successful. I will be doing the same. I remember having raspberry croissants in the past -- in Paris, I think. Those are on my list.

Simon said...

Ken: I agree. The experiments must continue.

Susan said...

Mmmmm - raspberry...
The chocolate ones have turned out well - just melted a couple of thick squares of couverture and added to half the almond cream. Also added orange peel to the syrup, but the flavour is too subtle to be worth it. I reckon a choc-framboise version needs to be added to the list too.
Susan

GaynorB said...

They look delicious! Thanks.

A good croissant aux amandes is an absolute delight. Strangely enough the best we've ever had was served at the U2 Cycle Hotel in Onomichi, Japan. A close second would be the boulangerie at Vinzier, Haute Savoie.

I've never attempted to make one. I'll give the link you've shared a try.

Post a Comment