The medieval church at Saint Cyran du Jambot nearly disappeared after the Revolution, but the owner of the nearby chateau purchased it in the middle of the 19th century and reconstructed the choir, apse and the vast lateral chapels.
|Each of the side chapels is nearly as big as the church itself.|
The church itself was too small and in 1891 the owner of the chateau offered to rebuild the nave and put up a new belltower. On the occasion of its reconsecration the relics of Saint Cyran were returned from where they had been stored in the church at Méobecq.
Saint Cyran, to whom the church is dedicated, as well as the village named after, is a very local saint, known only in the Berry, around Chateauroux and Saint-Maur, towards the Touraine in Saint Michel en Brenne and Saint Cyran du Jambot, and south to Le Blanc and Méobecq. He was the son of one of the Archbishops of Tours and Count of Bourges, dying in 657. In 642 he established a monastry at Méobecq and another at Saint Michel en Brenne.
Effectively the church was completely rebuilt over the course of the second half of the 19th century. Over the course of this time various renowned stained glass workshops in Tours were commissioned to provide windows. First Julien-Léopold Lobin in 1850, then Julien Fournier in 1892. In the 20th century Julien's son Lux added his touch in 1937 and finally his successor Yvan Guyet (known as Van-Guy) at the end of the century.
It is kept locked even in non-pandemic times, but a key can be obtained from the town hall if you want to see inside.
|Detail of the belltower.|
We are also on Instagram, so check us out to see a regularly updated selection of our very best photos.