Monday 17 September 2018

Vintage Fruit Boxes


The other day at the market in Preuilly I noticed that Tony the Organic Orchardist had some nice old fruit boxes by his van. They had the names of long gone businesses stencilled on them and I asked him what their history was.


He said he 'inherited' them when he bought the orchard. They date from the 1950s and 60s and he has lovingly repaired them so he can continue to use them. He likes the idea of them being in continuous use for more than half a century, and by three different owners of the orchard.

So often fruit boxes are used as kindling here and I was charmed by how sentimental Tony was about these seemingly mundane objects.

4 comments:

chm said...

I hope the dog is not planning to desecrate them !

Susan said...

The dog wasn't doing anything except snoozing.

Jean said...

They are lovely old boxes, would fetch a good price in some places. Much better that they are used for their original purpose rather than just decoration.....although I would love to have some myself.

Le Pré de la Forge said...

I'm with Tony.... they are wonderful, historic items.... they are a connection with the predecessors.
We went to the Clion sur Indre "Organic and Well Being" festival the other week... and these had pride of place on his stall!!

Post a Comment