Sunday 7 July 2019

My Old Towel

It has been hot here in the Loire Valley (40C or 104F at its peak), and we have had to take remedial measures to try avoid the house heating up too much.

One of those measure is avoiding too much solar gain, as the sun shines in through our kitchen door (which is double glazed) and heats up the air inside the kitchen. To this end I have been hanging my old beach towel outside, over the glass.  We reckon it has cut heat inside the kitchen by almost 10 degrees.


Now for the Australian link: I bought this towel at Queen Victoria Market in Melbourne on the 13th of July 1985. I know that for sure, because I rushed back to my sisters house from the market so that I could watch Live Aid on television.

4 comments:

Le Pré de la Forge said...

We still have the old, newly painted shutters for the front door... closing them has the same effect.... and, when the sun in the late evening starts to shine in through the big windows at the back.... up goes the temperature!!

Colin and Elizabeth said...

Its doing well then... 34 years old next week, I hope your throwing a party for it... C

Jean said...

Good idea. Sadly most of the heat upstairs chez nous comes through the roof owing to inadequate insulation fitted by the people who did the renovation. The only solution would to be to take the roof off and start again, so we endure it instead.

Susan said...

Maybe you could startle one of the endless cold callers by saying yes to their offer of phoofing insulation into your loft for a euro...

Luckily we installed a double layer of insulation in the roof and reflective sheeting when we had it re-done.

Post a Comment