At the end of my recent visit to Bio-Champi I had the opportunity to buy some White Ferula Mushrooms, a type of premium oyster mushroom much prized as a culinary ingredient. They were offered at a very reasonable €10/kg and I jumped at the chance. Here is how I prepared them:
500g oyster mushrooms, sliced
Salt and pepper
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp chopped parsley
1/3 cup cream
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan on medium-high heat.
- Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and fry them quite hard for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, reduce heat and cook for another minute.
- Add the parsley and cream, stir and cook for another minute.
- Serve with grilled meat or on toast.
The White Ferula Mushroom is mild flavoured with a firm texture, not at all like a supermarket button mushroom or an ordinary grey oyster mushroom, but these more readily available species could be substituted. This is a classic mushroom dish, taught to me by the chef at a former workplace.