Wednesday 22 September 2021

Wrapping It Up

Paris is currently admiring the final work planned by the artists Christo and Jeanne-Claude, both of whom are now dead. The Arc de Triomphe has been wrapped in a specially woven fabric and the work will be on display for a fortnight.

Arc de Triomphe being wrapped for the Christo art project, Paris, France.
The Arc de Triomphe in the process of being wrapped. (Photo courtesy of Wendy van der Beek).

 

The pair are much admired in France and the work has received a good deal of fanfare. American tourists, on the other hand, are mostly unimpressed. They want the monument they have in their guide books back, and have barely heard of Christo. 

Wrapped bridge in the style of Christo, Preuilly sur Claise, Indre et Loire, France.
The bridge in Preuilly wrapped in 1985.


One of Christo and Jeanne-Claude's previous projects in Paris involved wrapping the Pont Neuf, in 1985. Much to my amusement, I discovered recently that Preuilly sur Claise got in on the act and created a copycat version. Our own Pont Neuf was wrapped in pink as a sort of publicity stunt.

Australians may remember that one of the couple's early works was Wrapped Coast, where they wrapped the coast at Little Bay in Sydney Harbour in 1969.


4 comments:

potty said...

Your photo reminds me of the look that goes with sandblasting a stone building/monument. As to 'ART' I am unsure.

Colin and Elizabeth said...

NOT art in my view. Totally idiotic and equally pointless.

chm said...

I agree with Potty and Colin and Elizabeth and ask how much this stupidity cost that could have fed a number of hungry people somewhere in the world. I’m glad that both Cristo and Jeanne-Claude are dead, so we’ll be spared their art. Let’s hope there won’t be any copy cat!
Is it art when I wrap a package?

bonnie groves poppe said...

Well, I agree with the chorus. Even though I am an american, I have been familiar with Christo's "work" for very many years, and I just don't get it. Lots of plastic waste and landfill pollution (maybe all of that stuff is recyclable) and why is it interesting? I am probably just not cool enough to understand.
bonnie in provence

Post a Comment