The Marques Tower at Chenonceau is the only visible vestige of the former medieval castle of the Marques family, razed to the foundations by Thomas Bohier in 1515. It was the keep of the old building, consisting of a round tower and a turret housing the stairwell. Bohier remodelled the tower by giving it a more modern appearance, in the Renaissance style, thanks to the insertion of large mullioned windows, an ornate door, white stone dormers, and the addition of a bell tower, with a bell dated 1513. He also had corbels added under the parapet walk, and covered the old masonry with render, thus hiding old architectural details such as arches (but traces remain).
He also made a more elaborate raised entrance, as fashionable in the sixteenth century.
Finally, Bohier had the letters TBK carved on the tower, for Thomas
To one side, you can see the well, decorated with a chimera and a two-headed eagle, emblem of the Marques family.
The tower, which for a time housed the
souvenir shop, is no longer accessible to the public.
We are also on Instagram, so check us out to see a regularly updated selection of our very best photos.