Friday 18 March 2022

Wheely Good

Claudette's steering wheel has always been sub-optimal. The original steering wheels on Traction Avants are bakelite, which is prone to cracking. Celestine's wheel had lost its shiny outer layer, which we had repaired two years ago (I know that for sure, it was the day before lockdown started), but Claudette's wheel needed more than a light sanding and a new coat of paint.

A couple of weeks age I received a marketing email from one of the car part companies we have used for Traction Avant parts, and they had new grey steering wheels on sale. The company is based in the Netherlands, and knowing that Huub was about to visit I asked him to pick up a wheel, which he duly delivered earlier this week.

Yesterday I went up to Saint Pierre des Corps and visited Claudette in our garage up there, and changed the wheel. I was slightly nervous about the process because I could find no instructions online on how to do so.

It turns out that the reason there are no instructions is because it is ludicrously simple. Three bolts and a little bit of gentle (and I'm not being euphamistic here) persuasion, and the job was done within 10 minutes.


1 comment:

chm said...

Good job, Simon!

Post a Comment