Saturday 12 March 2022

Horned Pansy

The Horned Pansy Viola cornuta (Fr. Pensée à corne) is endemic to the Pyrénées and Cantabrian range. The flowers are pollinated by insects and the seeds dispersed by ants. The species grows in alpine and sub-alpine areas from 700 metres above sea level up to 2500 metres throughout the Pyrénees, but also in Haute-Savoie, the Apennines and Spain. 

Horned Pansy Viola cornuta, Hautes-Pyrenees, France. Photo by Loire Valley Time Travel.

 

You will find it in alpine pastures and rocky areas, where the soil is calcareous, flowering from June to August. It is a ground cover which has made the transition to cultivated gardens all over the world, and has produced many colourful varieties. 

 

Horned Pansy Viola cornuta, Hautes-Pyrenees, France. Photo by Loire Valley Time Travel.

These were photographed above Cauterets in the Hautes-Pyrénées in July 2021.

3 comments:

chm said...

We had some in planters in Northern France.
Whenever an n is preceded by an r, it looks like an m. So I first read comuta instead of cornuta! My vision is not as good as it used to be! I need new glasses.

Carolyn said...

Same with me, chm, though in this case I know enough plant Latin to get this one right.

I puzzle over someone I "know" online--is s/he Sunbum or Sunburn? In real life I'd soon figure it out but online I tiptoe around it. "Sunny" works for both.

Susan said...

chm: I've grown them in the garden too.
Carolyn: LOL.

Post a Comment