Saturday 21 May 2022

A First Photo

This is the very first digital photo I ever took. It was July 2000 and I had borrowed a digital camera from someone I worked with. Who knew that eventually we would be taking photos of great detail (and, it has to be said, too much size) on our phones?


It's a class 310 emu at Rainham ("Essex") station on the outskirts of London. They were a slam door train (you know the kind - arrive at station, drop window, reach outside to turn the door handle) more suited to life in 1950. Which was only 15 years before their introduction.

3 comments:

chm said...

I took my first digital photo in 1994 with an Apple Quicktake camera. The photos were extremely good considering it was so early in the digital photography.

Jean said...

I remember my first digital photos with a camera that cost a ridiculous amount of money and they were grainy and not very good! I also remember there being a slight time lag between pressing the button and it taking the picture, and thinking these things are not all they're cracked up to be! How things have changed.
I do remember those trains. They were the norm in our part of the UK until the fancy sliding door type came in, can't remember when that was but not that long ago.

chm said...

Hi, Jean,
When you said ridiculous amount of money you were right.
My first digital camera, as I said above, was an Apple Quicktake that I got through Ken who worked at Apple then. But the second one, a Kodak DC50, cost me a thousand dollars or close if memory serves. I used to call the photos it took the Daguerréotypes of the digital photography. But they were not bad, considering!

Post a Comment