Saturday 6 January 2024

Unblogged 2023 - Fish and Chips

This one is a hidden highlight, not totally unexpected, but a most welcome surprise.

On our way back from The Netherlands last year I decided I wanted to drive along the sea wall that prevents Zeeland becoming a vast inland sea at every high tide. Having left Huub and Ingrid at 09:00h we took an annoying unscenic diversion due to roadworks, before hitting the road to Rotterdam. This put us about 30 minutes behind schedule, and I was soon thinking about lunch. There were a couple of stops I wanted to make along the dyke, but it was excessively windy (force 8) to all but Dutch people, so excursions away from the car were very brief.


Luckily it was a bright and sunny day, and my pre-trip planning paid off with an unexpected bonus: the best fish and chips I have had for many years.


Proef Zeeland is a fish shop with a difference. You buy your fish at the counter, and they will (if asked) cook it and serve it with chips and salad. Truly fresh (I suspect they buy directly off the boats). It's right by the marina on Neeltje Jans, an artificial island built in the process of building the sea defences. You can find it here.


No comments:

Post a Comment