Thursday 25 January 2024

La Plongeuse

 

la plongeuse, Indre et loire, France. Photo by loire Valley Time Travel.

This charming scuplture is situated on the terrace of the restaurant Le George in Loches, overhanging the River Indre. It appeared in September 2021, but apart from that I can find no other information about it. I suspect it comes from a local sculptor's workshop, but I am not sure. I could of course ask the staff at Le George, but I keep forgetting to do so. I have no doubt that she is also a reference to the former public swimming pool, which was on the river opposite the restaurant. The sculpture's name means 'The Diver', but there may also be an element of restaurant based humour and wordplay, as a plongeur (or plongeuse if female) is washerupper in a restaurant, an essential but lowly member of most restaurant teams here.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

I think she's going to float downstream to eat lunch at the Relais d'Azay, after which she will swim to Chedigny to admire the roses.

Susan said...

Carolyn: Yes, good plan.

Post a Comment