Friday, 14 August 2026

Extra Added Insulation

At the end of June I wrote about putting tinfoil on the outside of our windows that don't have shutters. This has worked really well, even though it's fragile enough to need taking down every evening in case it blows away during the night.


I knew there had to be a more durable solution, and this is it. I went into Norauto, the car people, and bought 3 very cheap (2€99 a piece) car windscreen sunshades. They're foil covered on both sides, with bubble wrap in between. A bit of judicious scissor work and the house is as dark as a boot, but 20°C (at least) cooler than outside.


I can fill in that inconvenient gap with offcuts

Yesterday the temperature inside was 26°C, in the shade in the back garden 40 °C, and by the back door 47°C (and climbing). I still have to work out a definitive way of attaching them, but I'm getting close.

No comments:

Post a Comment