Wednesday 18 October 2023

Sauerkraut

On Saturday night we were at l'Image (Restaurant l'Image) for their special sauerkraut night.

Even though the redecoration of the restaurant has not finished, the room, in addition to the bar and the garden, was in use. Susan and I could have sat at a two person table in the bar, but instead we opted to sit at a form in the restaurant. That meant that we would be able to speak to other people and share the fun.


The sauerkraut garnie itself was excellent, with plenty of meats and boiled spud, and a bit of fermented cabbage. A debate has been had as to whether sauerkraut (German) is the same as choucroute (French) to no real resolution, so we'll call it sauerkraut and be done with it. It was good, reasonably priced, and served with good humour.


Entertainment was provided by an excellent accordion player, and the rugby was showing on a big screen in the beer garden.


All in all, a successful night, and we hope it's a sign of good times to come.

1 comment:

Le Pré de la Forge said...

Oooo, that "sour kraut garni" looks good! Lots of garni and hidden 'kraut!
German style "sauerkraut" is not my favourite... but I found a recipe for cooking it in dunkel, rather like the French "choucroute" and then making a sauce for the garni with the drainings from the pan.... recipe is on the machines somewhere and I recall there were other things added to the drainings apart from "thickener", but I remember it was rather nice... and it only used 200ml of the dunkel [which gave me something to drink as I cooked!] Lidl does 1kilo packs of "untreated" sauerkraut at this time of the year.
As there was no way I could come to l'Image, I got a full mealsworth out of the freezer....
from a catering family-sized pack that was reduced by more than half in the anti-gaspi at Intermarché.
Pauline and I had a meal from it "live" and I divied the rest up for the freezer...

Post a Comment