Tuesday 3 October 2023

Growing My Hair For a Good Cause

Two years of hair growth. Photo by Loire Valley Time Travel.
My hair in July 2022, three months before I got it cut.

Last year I donated two years worth of hair growth to a charity called Fake Hair Don't Care. Basically, I couldn't go to the hairdressers during the Covid lockdowns, and simply never got round to it once I was allowed to afterwards. Finally, once it was waist length and really starting to annoy me, I emailed Christelle at Zen Coiffure in Preuilly and booked a slot.

Getting hair cut for wigmaking charity, France. Photo by Loire Valley Time Travel.
Washed, dried and ready to cut.

Christelle was familiar with the procedure, but she was dealing with rather a lot of hair, so the whole appointment took over an hour. Even though I'd spent the summer swimming, she said my hair was in really good condition. Barely any split ends, and tangle free. I never dye or treat my hair with anything other than a twice weekly wash with Head and Shoulders 2 in 1. It never gets dried with a hair dryer, and I made Christelle laugh by telling her I did own a hair dryer, but it lived in the downstairs toilet and had been bought for thawing the pipe to the cistern when it froze.

Hair for donation to wigmakers, France. Photo by Loire Valley Time Travel.
My hair cut off and ready to send to Fake Hair Don't Care.

Fake Hair Don't Care mostly give the hair to wigmakers who supply wigs to people living with cancer, but they also ask if you are willing for them to sell your hair to raise money for cancer charities.

Haircut, France. Photo by Loire Valley Time Travel.
The new haircut.

No comments:

Post a Comment