Tuesday 15 August 2023

Vultures Part Two

On past blog posts I have expressed a wish to see vultures, and excitement when I have done so. 

The past four visits to the Pyrenees we have seen griffon vultures, but we have never seen any of the other species. Until...

I was looking through our photos from last month and realised there were a few I hadn't looked at properly. Imagine my surprise when I realised we had photos of a raptor I didn't recognise. I did some research and jumped to a conclusion I wasn't at all certain about. Susan asked some of her nature friends... and they concurred.

Meet Gypaetus barbatus, the Bearded Vulture or Lammergeier, the most exciting vulture in Europe. 





They may not be beautiful photos, but they were shot from the hip with a point and shoot camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment