Friday 16 June 2023

Former Times

You could almost (take away the electric catenary wire) believe this photo was taken in a former era.

But no... 

I was sitting in Claudette in the car park at Chenonceau last Sunday when my thoughts were interrupted by the sound of the loudest steam whistle I have ever experienced. It was loud to the extent that it actually hurt. I was, to say the least, surprised and annoyed: we've had our cars for 14 years, and I've always wanted a photo of them with a train, and now I'd missed my chance.

I grabbed my phone and started snapping, annoyed that I couldn't get a clear shot. Then I realised that the train had stopped at Chenonceau station, and that I actually had a way of moving to somewhere where I could do proper photography.

Having driven the road to Chenonceau many, many times I knew that the rail tracks ran right next to the road, if only I could get a couple of kilometres ahead. Luckily the train wasn't running at speed, so I was able to set up a shot. As the train passed I got a blast from the whistle and everyone aboard waved.


Excellent!

This is what AI (Chatgpt) has to say about the train if you ask it to write a 150 word blog post:

The French 241 P17 steam locomotive is a magnificent piece of engineering that harkens back to a bygone era of rail travel. Built in the 1940s, this iconic locomotive was designed for high-speed passenger service on the French railway network. With its sleek and streamlined appearance, the 241 P17 exudes power and elegance.

Featuring a 4-8-2 wheel arrangement, the 241 P17 was capable of reaching speeds of up to 120 kilometers per hour, making it one of the fastest steam locomotives of its time. Its robust construction and advanced engineering allowed it to conquer challenging terrain and pull heavy loads effortlessly.

Beyond its impressive performance, the 241 P17 also boasted luxurious accommodations for its passengers. The interior of the locomotive featured plush seating, polished wood paneling, and exquisite detailing, providing a truly opulent travel experience.

Today, the 241 P17 is revered as a symbol of France's rich railway heritage. Preserved examples can still be seen at various railway museums, captivating enthusiasts and reminding us of the golden age of steam travel.

...which is kind of true, with some over elaborations. It's too school essay'y for my liking, factually wrong in a couple of places, and reads like it's been padded out.

Here's my version:

This 241P class steam locomotive was built in 1949 by Schneider, of Le Creusot. It's a "mountain" style locomotive, with 4 driven axels. In European notation that's a 241 (they count the axels), in British notation it's a 482 (they count the wheels). Producing 4000 horsepower and capable of 170km/h, it usually ran in service at a maximum of 120 km/h.

Number 17 of this class was withdrawn from service in 1969 having travelled 1,741,865 km. It underwent a 13 year rebuild, and returned to service in 2006.

This scene must have been played out many times 70 years ago. 



1 comment:

Le Pré de la Forge said...

Simon, you can clone the modern gantry and wires out, grey scale it and add a pale vignette, then sepeia tone. Timeless, and good for the publicity pix, too!

Post a Comment