Sunday 16 April 2023

A Surprise Post

Today is an auspicious day, and not one that it ever occured to me I would see. Not because I thought it wouldn't last this long, but because when things happen you don't think about such things as  anniversaries.

Twenty-five years ago Susan and I were married. It happened at the Plashet Grove registry office in east London, and apart from Susan and I and the Registrar, the only other people there were our witnesses - my Mum and Dad. If we hadn't needed to supply our own witnesses even Mum and Dad wouldn't have been there: that's how low key we wanted to keep it. We told no-one else and the whole thing cost about £100. The people at Susan's work bought her flowers even though she had only been working there a short time. Afterwards we had a half pint of beer at the nearest pub.


We got married for reasons of practicality: because the laws in the UK were so archaic, despite being an established couple of about 5 years duration when we arrived in the UK we weren't each others next of kin - that was our respective fathers, both in Australia. If  something serious had happened or either of us had been hospitalised it could have been a real problem. So we got married in our local registry office, an attractive 19th century building that had a former life as a Carnegie library. Susan took half a day off work and the next day I went off to Australia and America on my own.

25 years, though. Blimey.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Congratulations on 25 years! Doesn't the photo make you think how young you were at the time?

Jean said...

Happy Anniversary!

Le Pré de la Forge said...

Congratulations and very hapy anniversary.... and I raised a glass last night to your next 25!!

Post a Comment