Sunday 26 September 2021

Growing up in Sydney

I have written before about when my family moved from London to Australia. (Emigrating to Australia Part One, Part Two, Part Three). I have also written about breaking my arm in the park opposite our house. The story of that is here. The park still exists, but it has much more modern features such as safety and shade. You can see it here.

Yesterday I was looking for some old photos and I found the following, one of the the first photos taken of me in Australia. The date on the photo is October 1967, but I have no idea when it was taken: back then you took the occasional photo, then when the film was full you took it to the chemist to be developed. All I know is that it was taken between April and October 1967.

 

You can see the "slippery dip" (a.k.a slide) that I broke my arm on in the left background.

Later Dad taught me how to develop film, and we did so in the bathroom, using a red plastic bucket over a lightbulb to provide us with suitable light. I assume it was cheaper, and I remember the results were quite acceptable.

4 comments:

potty said...

My older brother had a shed tricked out as a darkroom in the late '50s'. It was so frustrating to take a photo and have to wait (sometimes) months before using up the film and find out if you could remember the who/where/when/why of your 24 exposures.

chm said...

Simon, you had short hair at the time.

Simon said...

Even the famous long hairs of those days had short hair by modern standards

Colin and Elizabeth said...

The hand knitted jumper? Had one just like it but 10 years earlier...C

Post a Comment