Saturday 24 June 2017

One Year On

It was twelve months ago that many in the UK voted to become a 19th Century backwater and leave the European Union. I won't tell you what Susan and I think about that - you'll have to guess.

To mark that event we are holding a picnic to celebrate what being a European is all about: inclusiveness, removing barriers, fairness and friendship. If you're in the area the picnic is in the picnic area at Chaumussay - not the one near the bridge, the one hidden the other side of the "main" road by the station. (Along the track on the left in this pic).


We had a picnic last month attended by about 20 people, but would love to see many more there this time. Bring your picnic, some seats (although there are picnic tables scattered across the area) and a plate of food to share, and join us. Language skills are not required, there will be conversations in both English and French (and probably quite a bit of Franglais from both sides of the language barrier).

After the picnic we will be "arting" -  at 2.30pm, we will be heading off to visit some local artists. If you have a classic car (or even just an older car) bring it, and we will travel in convoy. Susan and I will be in Claudette.

4 comments:

Jean said...

I can still hardly believe that it's actually going to happen. Even a friend of ours who thought carefully about it and voted to leave seems to be having second thoughts now that we have pointed out a few consequences that she hadn't considered. That was the problem I think.

Susan said...

I wouldn't be surprised if ultimately it doesn't happen, but if it doesn't, on one level I will be delighted, but on another, boy will I be bitter and twisted about the level of stress and uncertainty it's caused me personally.

GaynorB said...

I'm finding myself less upset, but more angry! I'm not going to quietly go away. St Theresa asked for a mandate which she didn't get. She is now using our money to buy DUP votes. The conservatives keep telling us that the public have no appetite for another election. I do...

Susan said...

It's all so time and money wasting. It will be fascinating to see how things are perceived 10 years from now.

Post a Comment