Onion bhaji mix.Ingredients:
2 heaped tbsp gram (chickpea) flour
1 large onion, peeled and sliced into fine strips
Vegetable oil for deep frying
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp garam masala
1 green chilli, deseeded and sliced into fine slivers
- Put the flour, salt and spices into a bowl.
- Add cold water and mix until you have a thick paste.
- Add the onion strips and mix well into the paste.
- Add the chilli and mix well.
- Heat the oil to deep fry temperature.
- Drop small egg or large walnut sized spoonfuls into the hot oil.
- Allow them to cook until golden brown, a few minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
Onion bhaji draining on kitchen paper.They can be eaten on their own, or with an Indian style chutney (e.g. mango or minted yoghurt). I like to serve them with barbecued chicken wings, and a spicy plum sauce. Ken and Walt have written a couple of times about cooking chicken wings that would work well served with onion bhaji.