Obviously onion bhaji aren't a local French delicacy, but we grew lots of very nice onions last year and onion bhaji are a very simple tasty onion snack or side dish. They are also suitable for coeliacs, and with a coeliac brother-in-law and now my friend Elizabeth at Braye-sous-Faye, I'm always on the look out for recipes that are safe for people with the condition.
2 heaped tbsp gram (chickpea) flour
1 large onion, peeled and sliced into fine strips
Vegetable oil for deep frying
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp garam masala
1 green chilli, deseeded and sliced into fine slivers
- Put the flour, salt and spices into a bowl.
- Add cold water and mix until you have a thick paste.
- Add the onion strips and mix well into the paste.
- Add the chilli and mix well.
- Heat the oil to deep fry temperature.
- Drop small egg or large walnut sized spoonfuls into the hot oil.
- Allow them to cook until golden brown, a few minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.