Old fashioned chocolate cream is a real family favourite in France. You can buy it in the supermarket in little individual plastic or glass pots, and my laitière (local dairy farmer who delivers) makes it on the farm and I buy it occasionally from her when she calls.
90g dark chocolate
600ml whole milk
4 egg yolks
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Break up the chocolate and melt in the microwave with 100ml of the milk.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar until creamy.
- Mix in the melted chocolate.
- Add the milk and vanilla and beat well.
- Divide into 6 heat proof glasses or ramekins.
- Put them in a bain-marie and cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Leave to get cold and put in the fridge for at least 3 hours before serving.