BeforeMost of what we removed was dust, but it looks like the beams had been lime-washed (but only once) a long time ago. We have removed almost no wood, so the adze cuts and chapentiers marks are still clearly visible. Today we will be giving the wood a coat of xylophene, an anti-insect, anti-fungus treatment, then once the walls and ceilings are totally finished, a final coat of wax (maybe).
What we do find interesting is that we have three different kinds of wood up there. Of course, there is a lot of oak (mainly the St Andrew's crosses), but there is also chestnut (the long beam of slightly yellow wood) and poplar (coming later in another photo).