Thursday 23 April 2009

A Common Sight

As you drive around rural France you will often encounter this man and his brethren - the common cyclist - wobbling his way along the road.

He is not to be confused with the all over body condommed speed cyclist, a much more confident beast who is seen only at the weekends (although once a year the professional variety as shown here can be seen during the week, too) and usually in groups; the common cyclist can be seen on any day of the week, usually in packs of one.

Simon

5 comments:

Barbara said...

Another "species" that makes me smile when I see it is the 2 wheeled Mamie.
I seen a couple on the rural roads on scooters, helmet firmly in place & with her shooping box/crate on the back.
Zoom !

Simon said...

We have seen only a few, and zoom isn't the first word I would think of... Maybe we are hillier than the places you see them, or perhaps most of the Mamie in our area are trop anciens.

Jenny said...

I love that image.

Anonymous said...

Are cyclists of the serious sort like sacred cows in India? The last lot I met in pack form came straight out onto a roundabout which I was on, ignoring the white lines. There was no question of them even bothering to look. May their testicles be strangled by their Lycra. I was very happy moments later to overtake them going up one of the steepest inclines between Preuilly and Tours.
John

Simon said...

Jenny - thanks - I kinda like it too.

John. Dunno about sacred cows - I imagine if you hold your nerve you could bounce a cyclist a lot further than a cow if you accidentally hit it. This is an observation, you understand, not a challenge....

Post a Comment